Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A short, squat ruby

Here's another one from Sharon, Mass. I found this one to be absolutely adorable!




Do you get it? I thought perhaps it was hailing a taxi, but it turns out that this fire hydrant's little flag is so that it can be found in the snow. How innovative! I grew up in Chicago, which gets plenty of snow, but I don't recall ever seeing any of these cuties.


For more reddish images, go check out Ruby Tuesday, graciously hosted by Mary at Work of the Poet. Happy Tuesday, everyone!

10 comments:

Meri said...

I've never seen a snow flag for a fire hydrant, but then I live in the Puget Sound lowlands where 8 inches of snow on the ground would be a rarity.

Janis said...

I have never seen such a thing. Very smart idea though, being in a place where there is alot of snow.

Leora said...

We have something similar added on our fire hydrants in New Jersey - but they have white and red stripes. I grew up in New England - this business of having taller items on fire hydrants is a new thing. I don't remember them when I was a kid.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Nice shot!

My Ruby Tuesday

eden said...

Nice post for Ruby Tuesday.

Liz said...

Great idea. ;)

Happy RT!

My RUBY links:
Moms... Check Nyo
Yummy-as-can-be

Hey Harriet said...

hehe...that is really cute! I would never have figured out what that little flag was intended for had you not told us! I like the idea of fire hydrants hailing taxis too! :)

Auntie E said...

Oh yes a good idea. I have walk into too many in the 3 foot snow while in NY.
My Ruby post."Christmas Town"

EG CameraGirl said...

Hehehe! Yes, I think they are more common now than when you grew up. Too many snow plows have smashed hydrants, I fear.

Ms. Diva said...

What great idea!! We only get maybe an inch of snow, if we're lucky!!!!